Monday, November 30, 2009

THIS IS WAR





As the year begins to come to an end I've been thinking about what movies, books, games, and music would make the best of the year edition for 2009. I've still got a lot of games to get through before I can decide that, and there's been too many albums that I haven't even had a chance to actually listen to.

But when 30 Seconds To Mars new Album leak yesterday I was so excited/nervous to listen to it. The 2005 release of A Beautiful Lie took some time to grow on me, obviously it had it's lead single in Attack and several other singles that were amazing. But really as the last year and a half of listening to this album more often it's became apparent that it was a complete record from start to finish. So often I find myself skipping too many songs from Artist that I like, this wasn't the case with A Beautiful Lie. Between the epic "from Yesterday" to the softer "The Story" there was something about this album that I always found myself coming back to. Four singles later and one song in my top 25 A Beautiful Lie was a great album.

As for This Is War I probably shouldn't of doubted a band that spend the better of a decade putting it's Second major release. This Is War is the right progression from A Beautiful Lie, you can sit down and listen to one track like the single Kings and Queens or really just let set the entire album on Shuffle and see where it takes you. Does that mean it will live up to the test of time like A Beautiful Lie? Who knows normally the CD that last the longest seem to have a few tracks that don't stand out at first but after a few whirls they become your favorites much like "Savior" was. And yes even though Kanye West does make an appearance on this record he doesn't ruin it, his collaboration on "Hurricane" is actually quite good.

Can't wait for the full retail release to get to hear a few of the special bonus remixes.

2 comments:

JeffGhazarian said...

Very well said. This album is in my top 3 2009 albums for sure.
In no particular order:
Thrice-Beggars
Brand New-Daisy
30 Seconds to Mars-This is War

RJ Bubel said...

See honestly I haven't really given Thrice or Brand New a chance yet, really with Saosin, Anberlin, Cartel, Dashboard Confessional, I Fight Dragons, Mae, Paramore, and the Used. Somewhere in there is probably my favorite album but who knows.