M. Night Shyamalan's adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender came out this past week and my oh my has it been getting killed by critics and by fans alike. The last time I checked it had a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 6% which is lower then several Uwe Boll's films. That said I was wondering what kind of money this film would make in it's first week out, originally I thought that the box office would come in with Eclipse at one, Toy Story 3 at two and Last Airbender just behind it.
But to my surprise it came in second with 70 million dollars (through Monday) which is twenty million more then it was originally tracked to make....so the question is this, much like last year Transformer 2 (which was awful but made a lot of money) will we see Last Airbender 2 with M. Night at the helm and just more over the top special effects. I'm truly worried that movie studios will start to go for more special effect films instead of looking for films that are trying to tell a genuinely interesting story. I really hope that Christopher Nolan's Inception can save us all...
Box Office results found at Hollywood Reporter
No comments:
Post a Comment